Wednesday, January 27, 2016

wobbly no more

The reluctant yogi has been just that for many months. I've been quiet, but here's where I'm at.  I've continued with my weekly yoga practice, which has successfully helped reverse the bodily stresses that a desk job imposes. I even made the break from my chiropractor, who had been correcting my body for 20 years. What I've noticed though is that although chiropractic is healthy and good, it is a strong correction to the spine all of a sudden. What my chiropractor did in 5 minutes was a drastic correction, and only to a few of my problems. Yoga has done much more.

Yoga has taught me to breathe - really breathe. I return to this during the day when I need to. When I'm distracted, or stressed, I return to the breath. The asanas reverse the pull of gravity and bad posture. My body gets stretched in ways that sitting or walking never could. I feel better. I'm not wobbling when I walk anymore. I have the grace and balance again. As a man in his mid-40's, I have found that sitting at a desk for 20 years has not helped my balance. I found that I was wobbling when traversing the twisty walkways in the gardens around my house. No more. My feet know where to go to balance the twists and turns of my body and life. Hmm, there must be a metaphor there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment